Welcome to the AMWA Resident Division!
"Medical students can meet other female professors and clinicians and actually start to build relationships with these women who can serve as role models for us. Mentorship is the resounding theme for AMWA"− Brittany Jackson, M.D.
"The leadership opportunities are amazing. You can participate at whatever level you're interested in... you develop a broad skill set which will translate into your professional career for the rest of your life."− Linda Wang, M.D.
"It's really helped develop me as a leader, as a woman physician and I can't say that I would have had any of the opportunities I've had without being a member of AMWA."− Tracey Madsen, M.D.
AMWA is a leading voice advocating for the promotion of health and professional advancement of those in medicine & health-related fields.Learn More
AMWA encourages and honors excellence in the fields of medicine, health care, science and public service.Learn More
AMWA actively supports programs that focus on the needs of the disadvantaged women and the underserved.Learn More
AMWA members are well informed health care professionals, and are frequently sought after by the media for their expertise on a wide range of topics.Learn More
A community of professionals working to promote health encourage the professional and personal development of those in medicine, healthcare and health-related fields and provide a range of mentorship, educational and charitable programs that make a difference.
AMWA can make a real difference for you through our programs and services–AND AMWA membership saves you money too!
- Member discount on all AMWA-sponsored meetings, conferences, seminars, online continuing education
- A weekly email NewsFlash, a monthly Resident e-publication, AMWA Resident Monthly, & quarterly Connections to keep you current.
- Networking opportunities and access to the unique knowledge and experiences of other female physicians through the Charlotte Edwards Maguire MD, mentorship database program.
Why You Should Join
Leadership – AMWA is a leading voice advocating for the promotion of health and professional advancement of those in medicine & health-related fields.
- AMWA Resident Members are also Medical Women’s International Association (MWIA-www.mwia.net) members. The MWIA is an association of medical women representing women doctors from all five continents, promoting to actively work against gender related inequalities in the medical profession between female and male doctors including career opportunities & economical aspects.
- AMWA encourages professional equity, advancement, and recognition at the local and national levels.
- AMWA addresses unique challenges for women, including such issues as focused research, access to appropriate care, work/life balance, family pressures, domestic violence, etc.
- AMWA advocates and supports diverse public health education initiatives, with special focus on under-addressed issues in women’s health and advocacy on behalf of women’s health and research.
- AMWA’s advocacy emphasizes access to care, with special attention to the underserved.
- AMWA works to advance legislation, regulations, and policies on Capitol Hill that benefit our members & improve health care for all.
- As an AMWA member, you help shape AMWA’s positions and you represent a highly respected organization whose voice and opinions are sought after by the White House, Congressional leaders, the media and other organizations.
- AMWA actively participates in coalitions to improve health care access and services.
- As an AMWA member, you will have the opportunity to gain leadership skills and recognition for your professional and personal development.
Excellence – AMWA encourages and honors excellence in the fields of medicine, health care, science and public service.
- AMWA has a national awards program specifically suited for residents including:
- Susan L. Ivey, MD Courage to Lead Award, Elinor T. Christiansen, MD Altruism Award, Overseas Assistance Grants, Young Woman in Science Award and Charlotte Edwards Maguire, MD Outstanding Resident Mentor
- AMWA works closely with members of Congress and the National Library of Medicine to ensure the continuing recognition of outstanding physicians across the country through the Local Legends program.
- AMWA’s program of recognition of accomplishment and encouragement of excellence includes a diverse array of awards, grants, and scholarships for those at all levels of professional development and interest.
- AMWA members develop these highly valued awards, structure the eligibility, establish qualified application review panels, and manage the selection and awards.
Service – AMWA actively supports programs that focus on the needs of the disadvantaged women and the underserved.
- As an AMWA member, you help to support numerous outstanding charitable programs that provide desperately needed services of exceptional quality for the medically underserved in the U.S. and abroad, including a maternal health clinic in Haiti; a vaccination program for homeless, abused orphans in Vietnam; a clinic for the poor in Calcutta; an inner city clinic for AIDS victims in Washington, D.C.; several family clinics in Appalachia, and many more (see www.amwa-doc.org for details).
- AMWA members select the clinics that receive AMWA’s American Women’s Hospitals Service Program (AWHS) support and visit these clinics to monitor care.
- Hundreds of medical students and residents have received training in these clinics worldwide through AMWA’s travel stipends. Members set the criteria, review applications, and award these grants throughout the year.
- AMWA maintains a unique domestic violence program on our website, www.amwa-doc.org, which is used by physicians, other health professionals, and those in law enforcement to guide detection and intervention in suspect cases.
Education – AMWA provides education in a wide range of health/medical topics and professional advancement areas for providers, researchers, academics, those in public health and health-related business fields, students, and the general public.
- AMWA’s Annual Meeting includes CME presentations that address advances in health care and steps to improve and manage your personal, professional and family life (discounted for members).
- AMWA maintains expert-developed and maintained curricula on a range of women’s health topics. These are available with current PowerPoint presentations and slides for use by other AMWA members in professional and public venues.
- AMWA provides online CME focused on leadership and professional development.
- AMWA activities include professional development opportunities, helping members develop and sustain a well informed and supportive network across the country.
- AMWA maintains a mentorship program that includes face-to-face involvement and an online website, www.woman2woman.org, to encourage students and residents and assist their professional and personal development.
- As an AMWA member, you open opportunities for knowledge, recognition, advocacy and advancement for yourself and others in the health fields.
Expertise – AMWA members are well informed health care professionals, and are frequently sought after by the media for their expertise on a wide range of topics.
- Past issues of the peer-reviewed scientific publication, The Journal of American Medical Women’s Association (JAMWA), are accessible on the AMWA web site.
- As an AMWA member, you are a respected representative of an honored organization of health professionals who are continuing our long tradition of authority on a wide range of health topics.
- As an AMWA member, you will receive the weekly NewsFlash email that provides updates on advocacy concerns, health and professional information, job and grant opportunities, and local issues with national appeal.