AMWA is a leading advocate for gender equity, women’s health, and research.
The American Medical Women’s Association (AMWA) advances issues affecting women in medicine–from gender equity and sexual harassment to physician suicide, infertility, and diversity and inclusion–bringing them to the forefront of the national agenda. We are an active participant in setting national health care policy and influencing legislation on healthcare and healthcare access.
Our advocacy efforts are also driven by the needs of our members, so find an area of interest and put your passion to action. Join AMWA’s Advocacy and Policy Committee
Throughout the year, AMWA’s Advocacy and Policy Committee reads and reviews current health policy and upcoming health legislation. View Our Advocacy Timeline and read our position papers and statements.
Join the Advocacy Committee to:
- Advise stakeholders on legislation, regulations, and policies at the state and local level
- Develop Position Papers on key health and policy issues
- Partner with Coalitions to improve health care access and services
Past Events (Videos available in the AMWA Member Learning Hub)
- Civic Engagement in Health Care Settings (Oct. 20, 2022) in partnership with Civic Health Alliance
- Civic engagement through voting is vital to the health of our communities. It allows us to influence policy about resourcing and regulation of our healthcare system, including provisions that impact social determinants of health. Physicians have historically not been active voters, participating at a rate lower than that of the general population — it’s time to change that! ALSO – physicians and other healthcare providers interact with many, diverse members of their communities and thus are uniquely positioned to impact civic engagement.
- Panelists: Dr. Theresa Rohr-Krichgraber (President, American Medical Women’s Association, Jeanne Ayers, R.N., M.P.H. (Executive Director, Healthy Democracy, Healthy People), Jessica Rebeza, MS, CHES (M3, St George’s School of Medicine) Event
- Moderator: Russia Chavis Cardenas, MPP )Director of Strategy and Partnerships, Civic Health Alliance)
The Power of One Voice
Within AMWA, there are many arenas for action to make your voice heard — legislative advocacy, op-eds, letters to the editor, social media campaigns, and more. Join the AMWA Speakers Bureau to be contacted about press opportunities.
Physicians have historically voted less than the general population. It’s time to change that. Physicians can be effective in getting out the vote (GOTV) and as valued speakers on issues impacting healthcare.
Don’t underestimate the power of the white coat. Stay abreast of active ballot issues and contact your legislators to share perspectives on policies that affect social determinants of health, healthcare access, and more.
For over a century, AMWA has been a voice for women’s healthcare with a focus on education, preventive health, improved therapeutics, access to treatment, and more.
Sex and Gender Specific Health
Learn about the Reproductive Health Coalition and join our efforts to ensure access to the full spectrum of reproductive care without legislative interference.