Certificate in Leadership Essentials for Women Trainees
Rise to Your Potential. Discover New Possibilities. Achieve Greater Career Satisfaction.
An 8-month competency-focused, group coaching program designed to meet the specific needs of women residents & fellows
As physicians, you are typically viewed as leaders in your community, at the clinic, and by your patients. Yet, few physicians receive any formal or specific preparation in leadership development during their training years.
AMWA recognizes the challenges commonly faced by women trainees, and designed AMWA EVOLVE Certificate in Leadership Essentials for Women Trainees to provide a space for exploration, perspective, and insights with the added benefit of peer support. This 8-month program guides participants to reconnect with their purpose and values, build on individual strengths, and maximize their effectiveness during the training years.
Next Cohort Begins in October 2024
Reserve Your Spot by March 12
AMWA Members: Early Enrollment Discount: $160 ($220 full price)
Non-Member fee: $450
Not yet a member of AMWA?
AMWA membership offers one set fee for the duration of your training.
We encourage you to join before enrolling in AMWA EVOLVE for the lowest program fee and also enjoy the many benefits offered to residents and fellows.
Join now at the special match rate 30% off with code: match
Inquire about a group option: email@example.com
What You Can Expect from this Certificate in Leadership Essentials
AMWA EVOLVE introduces a monthly self-guided module for each competency area to be explored and discussed through 90-minute facilitated group coaching so you are able to apply the concepts personally. Post-program, AMWA encourages you to mentor a small group of medical students as a way to develop your skills and share your growth. You will receive plenty of support and guidance through the AMWA Mentorship platform.
AWMA EVOLVE runs from October to May. Each competency topic will be presented twice each month to provide you with plenty of flexibility to be able to attend one session per month.
Sessions are held for 90 minutes at 8pm ET Tuesday evenings OR 10:30am ET Saturday mornings.
- Orientation: October Sat 7 & Tues 10
- Module 1: October Sat 14 & Tues 17
- Module 2: November Sat 4 & Tues 14
- Module 3: December Sat 16 & Tues 12
- Module 4: January Sat 13 & Tues 23
- Module 5: February Sat 17 & Tues 27
- Module 6: March Sat 16 & Tues 26
- Module 7: April Sat 13 & Tues 23
- Module 8 & Conclusion: May Sat 11 & Tues 21
To earn the AMWA EVOLVE Certificate in Leadership Essentials, you must attend at least 6 of 8 tailored, flexible group coaching sessions and submit a thoughtful statement about how the program has influenced you as a leader. For additional benefit, you are encouraged to complete monthly exercises, post-session reflections, and give back as a mentor.
Read the Seven Tips for Success in Residency—What You Wish You Knew
AMWA EVOLVE Leadership Modules
The 8 Leadership Competencies include:
What is your Why?
- Discover your own unique reason/motivation behind your interest or involvement in leadership. Coming back to this in times of stress will help keep you grounded and focused on your values.
Discovering your Strengths
- What are your personal strengths (leadership and otherwise)? How do you show up as a leader in the most effective and efficient way possible? This topic will utilize your CliftonStrengths assessment to guide the discussion!
Becoming an Authentic Leader
- How do you lead authentically? Do you experience Imposter Phenomenon—and if so, how can you manage feelings of self-doubt? We will explore these topics and discover how you can stay true to yourself and develop a strong sense of leadership.
Facing Gender Bias, and Microaggressions
- We’ll take a closer look at common patterns and experiences so you will recognize issues of bias and microaggressions and gain the skills to handle circumstances when it’s directed at you or a peer.
Handling Difficult Conversations
- How do you approach uncomfortable discussions (like feedback sessions, evaluations, etc)? Do you feel uncomfortable even thinking about these types of conversations? We will take a closer look and discuss some approaches to dealing with these inevitable moments.
Giving and Receiving Feedback
- As a leader, you will be in the position to both give and receive feedback. How do you know if you are truly listening? Are you receptive? How can these kinds of conversations be done effectively? Effective strategies will be presented and practiced.
The Art of Negotiating
- Learning to ask for what you want and get what you deserve is a critical life skill and essential if you are going to navigate the stages of your career so you are confident, satisfied, and growing in a way that suits you.
Where Do We Go From Here?
- Connect the competencies and build direction towards next steps. Highlight your learnings across all the modules to determine your best path forward.
AMWA EVOLVE Program Visionaries
Program Associate Director
Faculty Program Director
Faculty Program Associate Director
Leadership Programs Manager
Send Questions/Comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org