The American Medical Women’s Association advocates to bring under-addressed issues to the forefront of the national agenda.
Join our initiatives now.
Gun Violence Prevention Task Force
If you are interested in joining the task force, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow us on Twitter @AMWAGVTF, or on Facebook as the American Medical Womens Association Gun Violence Prevention Task Force. Share, retweet and Like!
Are you an AMWA chapter leader, or are you interested in putting on an educational event or series of events on gun violence in your institution? AMWA has resources for you! Please email us at email@example.com, and we would be happy to share our slide decks and literature with you!
As women physicians at all stages of our medical careers and with a range of specialties and recognizing the significant impact of gun violence on communities throughout the country and the considerable repercussions of gun violence on the medical system, we have created the American Medical Women’s Association Gun Violence Prevention Task Force. With over 5000 women physician members and a presence in over 100 medical schools throughout the country, AMWA is uniquely positioned to work toward the following missions:
- To create and deliver content for medical student education on gun violence as a public health and medical issue
- To encourage the treatment of gun violence as a public health issue, including support of increased funding for research into gun violence and prevention strategies from both governmental and private sources
- To defend the right of physicians to discuss gun violence with patients and to educate physicians in the appropriate manner in which these discussions may occur
- To uphold the right of medical schools and teaching hospitals to restrict weapons on campus and in sensitive areas.
- To represent the American Medical Women’s Association to National Gun Violence Coalitions who are working on gun violence specifically from the standpoint of public health and medicine
In 2015, AMWA established a gun violence prevention task force to help address this growing problem in the United States. To date, this group has over 60 members. If you are interested in joining us and helping with Gun Violence Prevention? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We have committee roles and leadership roles available for anyone who wants to get involved.
Keep up to date on our activity, petitions, and coalition updates. Bookmark this page, or follow us on social media!
Questions? Contact Stephanie Bonne or Ilana Rosman at: email@example.com
- Printable Patient brochure on Firearm Safety (Pamphlet for patients on gun safety)
- How to Have a Conversation with Patients about Gun Safety (Pamphlet for providers)
- Doctors For America call for lifting the ban on CDC gun violence research
- Center for American Progress information on Guns And Crime
- American Public Health Association Gun Violence Prevention Resources
- Under the Gun
- Harvard School of Public Health
- Resources on gun violence issues – National Physician’s Alliance
Additional resources from the National Physicians Alliance:
Report: Politics in the Exam Room: a Growing Threat, co-authored by the National Partnership for Women and Families, the National Physicians Alliance, the Natural Resources Defense Council, and the Law Center to Protect Gun ViolenceBack to AMWA Initiatives