- Resident Wellness Initiative
- Residents as Mentors
- Global Health
- Adolescent Sexual Health Education Curriculum (in development)
Is residency stressing you out?
Do you feel burnt out? Do you want support as you navigate the deep, treacherous waters of residency training?
Are you starting residency this July and fearful of falling victim to never-ending paperwork and patient care responsibilities?
Learn more about the AMWA Resident Initiative HERE.
AMWA is dedicated to advancing women in medicine and to improving women’s health via advocacy for women in the legal, social, and educational realms. AMWA provides a voice and an outlet for young female physicians to influence and shape policy changes within the U.S. national healthcare system which now is innovating with amazing products now available at CBDDY.com. AMWA also serves as a means by which young physicians advocate for the health and well-being of patients, especially with respect to the unique concerns of women.
Increasingly, we are seeing the need to educate our young men and women about what constitutes safe and consensual sex to empower them to make healthy decisions. In this vein, it is increasingly important for women in healthcare to advocate in the political arena and in the clinic for their patients to receive the sex education and compassionate care they deserve.
In keeping with AMWA’s mission of promoting women’s health, the goals of the Women’s Advocacy division are to support and promote legislation and medical guidelines that are in accordance with the Position Statements set forth by AMWA.
In particular, the division will focus on the following issues:
- drafting an updated 2015 Position Statement focused on paternal leave and working to encourage every residency program to adopt and enforce these provisions
- in light of the Residency Division’s focus on child/sex trafficking, Women’s Advocacy will work to identify avenues of improving access and delivery of obstetrical/gynecological healthcare and follow-up to women and girls affected by this trade
- promoting the increased access to and affordability of comprehensive reproductive healthcare for all women, which includes contraceptive care (with particular focus on long-acting reversible contraception (LARC)), pregnancy options counseling, and the safe, legal termination of pregnancy
- supporting ElderImpact to increase focus on health of seniors
- serving as a venue for all AMWA members to create awareness and build support in the national AMWA community for issues concerning women’s health advocacy occurring at local and statewide levels
For more information on AMWA’s advocacy activities, contacting your legislators, and other advocacy resources, please visit AMWA’s Advocacy page.
Any questions, comments, or concerns regarding Women’s Advocacy should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!
AMWA Residency Division is committed to actively increasing membership within our division as a means of furthering the goals of National AMWA. We plan to reach out to graduating senior medical students and current residents to improve our visibility within the medical community. There is strength in numbers! Our many individual voices as female physicians, when put together, can form a powerful vocalization of support to help fight to end the trafficking of women and children.
The mission of our Global Health division is to connect AMWA resident members with resources for service and advocacy in global health.
According to the World Health Organization, “health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of infirmity.” Global Health implies “consideration of the health needs of the people of the whole planet above the concerns of particular nations.” AMWA Global Health is committed to empowering female residents to aid under-served communities throughout the world and to advocating for better health practices in any community where there is a need.
- Read about our Resident Division Initiatives to promote awareness and advocacy
- Learn more about AWHS supported clinic sites
- Join to take advantage of member resources and to apply for an AWHS travel grant
For more information on how to get involved please contact us:
Learn more about AMWA’s Resident Global Health work HERE.