The American Medical Women’s Association advocates to bring under-addressed issues to the forefront of the national agenda. Join our initiatives now.
Preventive Medicine Task Force
The Preventive Medicine Task Force (PMTF) aims to improve health, wellness and fitness by increasing awareness about disease prevention and treatment among the medical community and the public. The Task Force brings together AMWA physicians, medical students, and residents, and includes physician experts in many disciplines, including cardiovascular disease prevention, cervical cancer and HPV, lung disease, obesity, osteoarthritis and osteopenia, and sex and gender differences in disease.
The PMTF was founded in 2013 by Dr. Farzanna Haffizulla, AMWA President 2014-2015, with the aim of developing innovative approaches to major U.S. health concerns. Under her direction, the AMWA Preventive Medicine Services Android App was created as a means of accessing preventive health service programs locally and nationally.
Today the PMTF has a variety of programs that address disease states and general health, often with a focus on women.
Leaders of the PMTF inclde: Dr. Amanda Velazquez, Dr. Kim Templeton, Dr. Connie Newman, Dr. Shanaz Fatteh,Victoria Silverman, Cheryl Cheah, and Lauren Engel. Dr. Victoria Silverman can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org and Dr. Connie Newman at email@example.com.
- AMWA Preventive Services Android App
- Bone and Joint Health
- HPV and Cervical Cancer
- Obesity and Weight Management
- Opioid Addiction in Women
- Pulmonary, Allergy and Immunology
- Wellness and Physical Activity
For more events, view AMWA’s current NewsFlash here.
Learn More About Our TeamMeet the Team
Position PapersCardiovascular Disease Risk Factor Screening in Adults
ResourcesSTOP Obesity Pamphlet Women's Heart Health Pamphlet AMWA Resident Division Nutrition and Fitness Manual
Pledge to be healthy here with the Global CEO Pledge for Physical Activity from the National Coalition for Promoting Physical Activity
Get the latest medical and professional news on AMWA’s NewsFlash
- Alcohol and Breast Cancer: Reconciling Epidemiological and Molecular Data
- Smoking Cessation
- Dr. Connie Newman, PMTF’s Co-chair and AMWA Liaison to the National Obesity Care Week Campaign, wrote an op-ed in the New Jersey Herald. Read more here about obesity as a serious disease and how patients should be treated with respect.
- AMWA President, Dr. Haffizulla stands in strong support of access to Preventive Services for women with disabilities. Read more about “Improving the Receipt of Clinical Preventive Services among Women with Disabilities“
- AMWA President, Dr. Farzanna Haffizulla, hosts a series of public service messages with Mission Critical Health – click here for the full series
- Preventive Medicine Task Force member, Dr. Amanda Velasquez, published the Clinical Nutrition Basics for Medical Students
- Dr. Connie Newman, PMTF’s expert on dyslipidemia, statins, and obesity, published an article in JAMA concerning Statin Intolerance
- Dr. Newman also represents AMWA and our task force through a new alliance with the National Forum for the Prevention of Heart Disease and Stroke
- National Coalition for Promoting Physical Activity
- AMWA Partners with The Obesity Society for Education about Obesity Prevention and Treatment
- Healthy, Humble and Hungry: A Healthy campaign by Triple Olympic Medalist Katie Hoff
- Visit the website for more ways to keep your workforce committed to action.
- A complete list of CEO Pledge signers is here.
- Women’s Health Week 2015, click here for brochure.
- Regular Exercise is Part of Your Job
- Putting a Price Tag on Employee Fitness
- The Dangers of Sitting Too Long
Click here to view AMWA’s certificate.Patient Resources
Pre-Op CHG Bathing
Antimicrobial Properties of Copper
Pressure Ulcer Prevention
Chronic Disease Nutrition
Back to AMWA Initiatives