The American Medical Women’s Association advocates to bring under-addressed issues to the forefront of the national agenda.
Join our initiatives now.
For physicians who take time off during their medical careers, the path to re-entry is not always straightforward. Women physicians, in particular, may take time off to raise their families. This website is a compilation of the current resources available for physicians who are looking to re-enter their medical careers. We would like to acknowledge The Physician Reentry into the Workforce Project for laying the foundation for work on this important issue. Relevant links from that project and additional resources have been provided below.Share Your Physician Re-Entry Story
Physicians take time off from medicine for many reasons, caring for children, caring for parents, pursuing other interests outside of medicine, illness, burnout, and more. Knowing what’s ahead and planning in advance will go a long way if and when one decides to reenter medicine.
- Physician Re-entry to Practice (AMWA)
- Physician Reentry Project (AAP)
- Physician Reentry Project History (PDF)
- Physician Reentry to the Workforce Inventory (AAP)
- AMA Fact Sheet on Physician Reentry (AMA)
- Why Women Leave Medicine (AAMC)
- Taking a Leave of Absence from Your Medical Practice (Psychiatric Times)
- Stepping Away from Your Clinical Career? (AAP)
- Leaving Medicine and Reentry (Doctor’s Crossing)
- Article – A Physician Reentry to WorkForce Inventory (AAP)
- Physician Re-entry to Clinical Practice (CA Medical Board)
- Easing Challenges Associated with Reentering the Practice of Medicine (North Carolina Medical Board)
- Report of the Special Committee on Reentry to Practice (FSMB)
Re-entry for Various Specialties
- Anesthesia: Return to Anesthetic Practice (Anesthesia Experts)
- Colorectal Surgery: American Board of Colorectal Surgery *ABCRS) Guidelines on Re-entry to Surgical Practice
- Ob-Gyn: Re-entering the Practice of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Surgery: Re-entry to Surgical Practice
- Council of Medial Specialty Societies (CMSS) Position Statement on Physician Reentry
Hear firsthand from physicians on their experience when re-entering the workforce.
- For Doctors Who Take a Break from Practice, Coming Back Can Be Tough (Kaiser Health News)
- Years After Leaving Practice, Some Doctors Choose to Return (ACPInternist)
- Painful Choices: The Price of Reentering Medicine (MedPage Today)
- MomMD Discussion Forums on Re-entry (MomMD)
(organized by publication year)
Anesthesia hazards and the impact of physician reentry
Baron EL, Burnett G, Loftus K, Sherwin M, Katz D, Levine AI
International Anesthesiology Clinics Winter 2020 Vol 58 (1): 50-55
Baron, Elvera L. MD, PhD; Burnett, Garrett MD; Loftus, Katherine MD; Sherwin, Marc MD; Katz, Daniel MD; Levine, Adam I. MD
Physician reentry to practice: The role of graduate medical education
Perm J. 2020 Sep;24:10-11.
Physician reentry: A timely topic for emergency medicine
Guth TA, Luber SD, Marcolini E, Lo BM
J Am Coll Emerg Physicians Open. 2020 Dec; 1(6): 1614–1622
Family leave and return-to-work experiences of physician mothers
Shannon B. Juengst, PhD, CRC, Alexa Royston, DO, Isabel Huang, MD, Brittany Wright, MS
JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2(10):e1913054.
Returning inactive obstetrics and gynecology physicians to clinical practice: the Drexel experience.
Varjavand N, Pereira N, Delvadia D.
J Contin Educ Health Prof.– 2015 Winter; 35(1):65-70.
Simulation-based assessment and retraining for the anesthesiologist seeking reentry to clinical practice: a case series.
DeMaria S Jr, Samuelson ST, Schwartz AD, Sim AJ, Levine AI.
Anesthesiology – 2013 Jul;119(1):206-17.
Assessment of an innovative instructional program to return non-practicing physicians to the workforce.
Varjavand N, Greco M, Novack DH, Schindler BA.
Med Teach. 2012; 34(4):285-91.
Returning physicians to the workforce: history, progress, and challenges.
Varjavand N, Novack DH, Schindler BA.
J Contin Educ Health Prof.– 2012 Spring; 32(2):142-7.
Lessons learned in physician reentry.
Cass I, Gordon LA, Kilpatrick S.
Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Aug; 120(2 Pt 1):360-4.
Guiding principles for physician reentry programs.
Kenagy GP, Schneidman BS, Barzansky B, Dalton C, Sirio CA, Skochelak SE.
J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2011 Spring; 31(2):117-21
Physicians reentering clinical practice: characteristics and clinical abilities.
Grace ES, Korinek EJ, Weitzel LB, Wentz DK.
J Contin Educ Health Prof.– 2011 Winter; 31(1):49-55.
Education to return nonpracticing physicians to clinical activity: a case study in physician reentry.
Bower EA, English C, Choi D, Cedfeldt AS, Girard DE.
J Contin Educ Health Prof.– 2010 Spring; 30(2):89-94.
Physician reentry: a concept whose time has come.
Adams KE, Allen R, Cain JM.
Obstet Gynecol.– 2008 May;111(5):1195-8.
Reentry into clinical practice: challenges and strategies.
Mark S, Gupta J.
JAMA – 2002 Sep 4; 288(9):1091-6.
How we teach on a ‘Return to General Practice’ course.
Med Teach.– 2002 Nov; 24(6):590-3.
A physician retraining program. Assessment update.
Raub AC, Bowler FL, Escovitz GH.
JAMA.– 1982 Dec 10;248(22):2994-8.
Retraining inactive physicians. A seven-year experience.
Escovitz GH, Woodside NB.
JAMA.– 1978 May 19; 239(20):2139-42.
Policy and Regulation
Regulations vary state by state, so it’s important to know your state medical board policy on re-entry.
- State Medical Licensure Requirements and Statistics (AMA)
- Report of the Special Committee on Reentry to Practice (Federation of State Medical Boards)
The path to re-entry may not be easy. Know about potential barriers that you may need to overcome.
A look at re-entry from the employer’s perspective.
Data projections from the AAMC in 2019 project a shortage of physicians in 2032 of up to 121,900, making physician re-entry all the more relevant. In September 2014, Senator John Sarbanes introduced the Primary Care Physician Reentry Act bill that would have directed the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HSS) to “establish a demonstration program to facilitate physician reentry into primary care clinical practice.” Eligible physicians had to commit to providing primary care at a health center for at least two years. Grantees would help would provide training, credentialing, financing, and loan repayment to physicians. The bill was reintroduced in December of 2015. AMWA and other organizations are working with Senator Sarbanes’ office on updating the bill to be introduced a third time.
- Primary Care Physician Reentry Act of 2014 (Congress)
- Sarbanes Refloats Primary Care Physician Reentry Act (Health Leaders)
- Primary Care Physician Reentry Act of 2015 (Congress)
- Resource for Physicians Returning to Clinical Practice (AMA)
- Re-entry to Clinical Practices (CPEP)
- Medical education and re-entry: Finding ways to re-educate the physician who wants to come back to clinical practice (Cogent Medicine)
Job Postings and Career Center
- Job Postings for Physician Reference (AAMC)
- JAMA Career Center (Journal of the American Medical Association)
Programs around the country are available to help physicians regain the necessary skills to practice medicine.
- The Center for Personalized Education for Physicians (CPEP)
- Critical Elements of Re-entry Education
- Directory of Physician Assessment and Remedial Education Programs (Federation of State Medical Boards)
- Drexel Medicine Physician Refresher/Re-Entry Course
- KSTAR/UTMB Health Mini-Residency Program
- LifeGuard Services (Foundation of the Pennsylvania Medical Society)
- Mini-Fellowships: Physicians Re-enter Medical Practice (AAPPR)
- Physician Retraining & Reentry (with UC San Diego School of Medicine)
- University of San Diego Physician Assessment Education Program
Do you know of any additional resources? Please email email@example.com.