American Women’s Hospital Services
Overseas Assistance Grants
The AWHS Overseas Assistance Grant program provides travel grants for medical students and residents working in clinics around the world. Students have traveled to a number of countries ranging from Uganda, Peru, India, Nepal, South Africa.
Of a doctor in a rural healthcare center in India, one student wrote, “She is one of those rare and inspiring mentors who become like a voice in a person’s conscience for the rest of their days and I know that my time with her will affect the way that I practice medicine and view healthcare for the rest of my career.”
Read more about some of the remarkable experiences these dedicated young physicians-in-training have had:
- High Risk Obstetrics in Medellin, Colombia
- Medicine Without Borders (Kenya)
- Providing an ultrasound and training in basic obstetric ultrasound in Mbarara, Uganda
- Mayo International Health Program – Patan Hospital, Nepal
- Adolescence is hard enough: What happens when you are HIV positive, too?
- One Medical Student’s Rotation in Vellore, India
- The Relativity of Optimism (Honduras)
- Beyond the Emergency Obstetric and Neonatal Care Trial (Nagpur, India)
- Integration of Family Planning into HIV Care in Nairobi, Kenya
- Global Health Medicine in Kenya
- Global Health Elective: Costa Rica
- African Sleeping Sickness in Uganda
- My Experience with Meningococcal Meningitis in the Expanded Africa Meningitis Belt (Northern Ghana)
- Global Surgery in Nigeria
- Health Care & Family Planning In Iran
- Caring for Women & Children Affected by HIV In Uganda
- Experiences from the Field: Bolivia
The AWHS Overseas Assistance Grant provides assistance with transportation costs up to $1,000 connected with pursuing medical studies in an off-campus setting where the medically neglected will benefit. The grants are awarded to national full AMWA student members completing their second, third or fourth year of an accredited U.S. medical or osteopathic medical school or to full AMWA resident members. Applicants must spend a minimum of four weeks and no longer than one year in a sponsored program which will serve the needs of the medically under-served.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org. There are application guidelines to assist you below.
Deadline: January 30
Decision by: March 2
Grant Application Guidelines
American Women’s Hospitals Service Travel Grant Guidelines
- Completed Overseas Assistance Grant Application
- Letter from Dean’s Office confirming good standing (as applicable)
- Letter of recommendation from a faculty member
- Description of program prepared by sponsor or, if no sponsor, by your school or another school accepting responsibility.
- Evidence of school approval for academic credit or acceptance of responsibility if no sponsor
- A follow up photo essay/video/educational article that can be used as an educational piece for newsletter submission in order to help educate others on working in a medically underserved area.
- Final expense report with airfare receipts.
One recent recipient of the Overseas Assistance Grant awarded by the American Women’s Hospitals Service wrote, “I am anticipating the realization of a dream I have had for a long time practicing medicine in an underserved and culturally rich part of the world.”
To help make dreams like this a reality, AWHS provides assistance with travel expenses up to $1,000, connected with pursuing medical studies in an off-campus setting where the medically neglected will benefit. The grants are awarded to national AMWA members completing their second, third, or fourth year of an accredited four-year U.S. medical or osteopathic medical school or a resident who will be spending a minimum of four weeks and no longer than one year in a sponsored program which will serve the needs of the medically underserved. The program must be sponsored by your school, another school, or an outside agency or, if there is no sponsor, it must be a program for which your school takes responsibility and provides academic credit.
Participation in the AWHS committee for one year following travel and presentation of your project at an AMWA annual conference is highly encouraged and appreciated!
- Overseas Assistance Grant provides airfare expenses up to $1,000
- Experience will benefit the underserved population as well as the student/resident
- Applicant will be able to use this experience to educate others on global health and working abroad
- Grantee will be spending no less than four weeks nor more than one year at the site
- Applicant must be a full National Student or Resident Member of AMWA and active involvement is highly encouraged.
- Students attending a U.S. accredited medical or osteopathic medical school and completing their second, third or fourth year or a Resident may apply for the grant
- Grant is a one-time, non-renewable grant
- Program must be sponsored by your medical school, another medical school, or an outside agency and for which your school or another medical school or outside agency takes responsibility and provides academic credit
- A Reviewing Body of members of the AWHS Committee will review the applications.
- Grading criteria includes: motivation for applying, how the grant will help the applicant’s advancement of knowledge, strength of letters of recommendation, the projected impact of proposed project on community, focus of project on serving women and children, how the experience can be used to educate students once completed, and level involvement with AMWA.
- A majority of the grant reviewing body must approve of the application.