American Women’s Hospitals Services
Community Project Grants
AWHS offers Community Project Grants as a mechanism for promoting AMWA member involvement in service and advocacy projects within their communities. These grants support community engagement and include health-related community-based research, community service projects, and community advocacy/education.
The primary goals of the Community Project Grants are to:
- Engage AMWA student, resident, and physician members in partnering with underserved communities
- Increase community outreach and resources
- Improve access to or quality of care for at-risk populations
- Promote community self-reliance through focus on sustainability
- Promote awareness around medical care access, resource use, and equity
- Develop long-term and innovative solutions to community health needs
Community Project Grants cover program-related expenses up to a maximum of $500. The application process is competitive, with successful proposals demonstrating anticipated positive impact, community involvement, and educational value, and sustainability. Projects must also demonstrate alignment with one or more AWHS funding priorities: empowerment or advancement of women; improving health care access for underserved populations; and quality improvement of services in rural and/or urban underserved areas. Applications are open to all full medical and pre-medical student, resident, and physician AMWA members. We ask that applicants participate in the AWHS committee upon project completion and be willing to mentor other AMWA members.
Read more about some of the remarkable community projects these dedicated young physicians-in-training have participated in:
- Flo’s Pantry — Free Menstrual Product Pantry (AMWA student Ashley Rietmann)
Reproductive Heath Series in South Queens (AMWA Students Tannuja Rozario and Harmehar Kohli)
- Upstream Obstetrics: Assessing the Prevalence of Food Insecurity in a High-risk Obstetrics Population (AMWA Student Eleanor Germano)
For more information or questions please contact us at AWHS@amwa-doc.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, with committee selection occurring quarterly.
Decision by: February 15
Decision by: June 15
Decision by: October 15
Applicants will also be asked to pay a one-time, nonrefundable $10 processing fee.