Join us at an event to honor Health STEM Graduates from across the U.S. sponsored by the TIME’S UP Foundation and the American Public Health Association. AMWA is a supporting partner for this STEMencement ceremony.
Thursday, May 28th, 5 pm EDT on YouTube
Speakers include diverse voices across Health STEM fields:
● Vivian Pinn, MD – who created and directed the NIH Office of Research on Women’s Health. Prior to her involvement, the NIH did not have a department dedicated to women’s health and many research studies failed to include women.
● Georges Benjamin, MD – Executive Director of the American Public Health Association, former secretary of Maryland Department of Health.
● Mona Hanna-Attisha, MD, MPH – Founder and director of the Michigan State University and Hurley Children’s Hospital Pediatric Public Health Initiative. She was one of the first to recognize that Flint, Michigan’s children’s lead levels in the blood doubled after the water was switched from the Detroit River to the Flint River.
● Lisa Carlson, MPH, MCHES – President of the American Public Health Association. She works in public health and medicine at the intersection of health sciences, research administration, and practice.
● Tina Tchen, JD – CEO of TIME’S UP who formerly served as the Director of White House Office of Public Engagement, Assistant to President Barack Obama, Chief of Staff to First Lady Michelle Obama, and Executive Director of the White House Council on Women and Girls.
● Monica McLemore, RN, MPH, PhD – who focuses on understanding the factors that influence the health, wellbeing, and livelihood of low-income individuals and women of color. She is also a strong advocate for reproductive justice.
● André Blackman – CEO of OnBoard health and an entrepreneur and speaker that is focused on bringing more talented people of color, women, and LGTBQ+ community into Health STEM fields.
● Joan Reede, MD, MPH, MS, MBA – Harvard Medical School’s inaugural Dean for Diversity and Community Partnership and creator of several programs that support minority and women physicians.
There will also be speeches from Valerie Jarrett – former Senior Advisor to President Barack Obama, Dr. Jennifer Gunter, Dr. Esther Choo, Dr. Jessi Gold, Dr. Dara Kass, Dr. Angie Rasmussen, and women leaders around the country, including Dr. Nicole Sandhu, Dr. Eliza Chin, Dr. Katherine Sharkey, Dr. Vineet Arora, Dr. Julie Silver, Dr. Avital O’Glasser, Dr. Arghavan Salles, Dr. Rakhee Bhayani, and Dr. Nusheen Ameenuddin.
The event will be emceed by Dr. Lauren Powell, Director of TIME’S UP Healthcare.
We hope that you will join us in celebrating the Class of 2020 at the #HealthSTEMencement.
Visit the STEMencement website to hear words of wisdom from women leaders around the country.