Executive Director Report – Eliza Lo Chin, MD, MPH
I had the opportunity this month to attend a reception and conversation at Google Headquarters with Michelle A. Williams, ScD, Dean of Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, hosted and moderated by Kent Walker, Senior Vice President and General Counsel, Google and Member, Board of Dean’s Advisors, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
The focus of the conversation, Science in the Balance: Public Health Priorities in a Time of Uncertainty, addressed some of the key issues in public health:
- Precision Public Health and Precision Prevention, the biomedical health model which focuses on making preventive interventions more precise.
- Funding challenges in public health and the role of the philanthropic community
- The importance of communication and diversity in collaboration.
- Women’s health and the ACA
- Health as the face of climate change
- Maternal and child health
- Importance of behavioral health
- Reaching populations and addressing healthcare disparity
Dean Williams highlighted the power of collaboration between Harvard’s School of Public Health and Google, and a new vision for public health in which traditional methodology would make room for technological innovation and creativity. This type of partnership would improve data analysis and storage, engender new opportunities, and ultimately provide an enhanced armamentarium for improving public health outcomes.
The Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health is hosting a A Health Care Leadership Development Program for Women June 26 – 29, 2017. Please read more here.