This module is designed for all physicians who hold a DEA license to prescribe controlled substances. The module addresses the regulations of the Controlled Substance Act pertaining to a physician’s legal right to dispense prescription drugs to patients.Module Overview Module Flyer
Through this module, learn how to…
- Describe the regulatory legal risks of prescribing controlled substances.
- Discuss the legal requirements for assessment and documentation regarding controlled substance prescription writing.
- Review the role of DEA and its authority over controlled substances.
- Identify new scheduling of controlled substances.
- Apply proper storage and record keeping practices for controlled substances.
- Properly report theft of controlled substances.
- Discuss the controlled substance act statute and identify where to find related regulations online.
This activity is approved for 2 continuing education credits AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™.
This module provides up to 2 continuing education credits toward the State of Michigan requirement for education on pain and symptom management.
Developed by Manveen Saluja, M.D., FACP
Rheumatology, Beaumont Health
Assistant Professor of Medicine, Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine, Wayne State University
Board Certified Rheumatologist