The House passed the Protecting Our Kids Act [HR 7910] but is unlikely to pass the Senate without significant political attention from constituents to urge attention to this legislation from your Senators. In concert with Doctors for America and other groups concerned about gun safety, the American Medical Women’s Association (AMWA) is encouraging our members to call and write your senators in a demonstration of support of The Protecting Our Kids Act.
The fate of this important Bill is now up to the Senate.
If passed, this bill would:
- Establish a new tax credit for the sale of safe storage devices
- Make it a criminal penalty for breaking requirements for the storage of firearms on residential premises
- Increase the age limit on the purchase of certain firearms and high-capacity ammunition
- Require current laws for mandatory serial numbers to be applied to currently untraceable firearms (“ghost guns”)
- Install measures to help prevent illegal gun trafficking and sales.
Your senator needs to hear from you. Make a phone call and/or write to your representative. To find your Senator: https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials
Feel free to use the following template as is or use your own words. Letters that provide a personal story offer the greatest impact.
LETTER TO SENATOR TEMPLATE
Dear The Honorable [last name]
As a physician/future physician, I recognize the need for the Protect Our Kids Act (H.R. 7910), which has been approved by the House and is now in your hands.
This Act is a step in the right direction to decrease further gun violence and needless death. The increasing rate of firearm-related deaths among children and young adults is alarming and tragic.
Please do not wait for the next massacre. Please vote YES for the Protect Our Kids Act and please do everything you can to ensure that the Act gains the bipartisan
support it needs to pass in the Senate.
Regards,[Insert your name with credentials and title and address]
To read the AWMA position statements, go to: AMWA POSITIONS