The call to action for #NIAW2022 is to change the cringe-worthy phrase, “you should just…,” which is often uttered by well meaning people, to a more empathetic and engaged #WeCanAll — work together to reduce the burden of infertility.
Infertility impacts 1 in 8 couples in the U.S. today and 1 in 4 women physicians. Especially in medical communities, it’s time to share how #WeCanAll help others recognize the far-reaching effects of inadequate resources and support for family planning.
Here is how you can get involved:
- Learn more about the fertility journey for women physicians and physicians in training through our recorded AMWA webinar series, Turning Fertility Challenges Into Change.
- Join the #WeCanAll social campaign with #NationalInfertilityAwarenessWeek or #NIAW2022 and tag @AMWADoctors in your posts. Here are NIAW Social Media Images and NIAW facts you can use. Share your infertility story or participate in the 5-Day Photo Challenge (including #WearOrange day on Wednesday, April 27, 2022).
- If your employer doesn’t cover fertility benefits, send a friendly email to ask about coverage. Consider citing recent Fortune and CNBC articles about how employers are using fertility benefits as perks.
- “This week is National Infertility Awareness Week and one of the discussion points is the fact that lack of insurance inhibits many people from being able to move forward to treatment. I’m wondering if ______ will be considering fertility coverage benefits?”
- Write a post for AMWA’s blog or an Op-Ed about the importance of fertility benefits coverage using AMWA’s guideline and template.
- Read and share AMWA’s Physician Fertility Summit Proceedings
- Talk to your employer about fertility benefits using the AMWA-RESOLVE Coverage-at-Work Toolkit.
- Sign up for RESOLVE’s National Advocacy Day, a May 18 virtual event bringing the infertility community comes together to talk to Members of Congress about important issues, such as increased access to family building options and financial relief.