- This event has passed.
Workshop-PLUS Clinician-Patient Communication
November 10, 2018 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST
A Full-Day Interactive Program Featuring Learner-Centered Skills Practice With Simulated Patients
Every clinician has experienced discomfort or frustration in their interactions with patients. Consider these familiar concerns:
- “I wish I felt more comfortable talking with patients about sensitive subjects. They just clam up when I try to screen for depression or STDs or substance use. I know they aren’t always telling me what I need to know. It’s frustrating to feel people aren’t forthright with me.”
- “So many of my patients seem to have ‘doorknob syndrome.’ Just when the visit is nearly over, they tell what’s really bothering them!”
Communication challenges may center on mismatched assumptions, differing language fluency, and weak connections with patients. These and similar challenges are well documented in the literature to respond to enhanced communication skills. Techniques such as active listening, Ask-Tell-Ask and empathy conveyance help to build trusting relationships with patients, ensure effective and efficient visits and facilitate optimal information sharing.
IHC’s evidence-based communication skills programs give clinicians at every stage of their careers unique opportunities to reflect upon and practice patient communication techniques that are more efficient, effective and patient-centered. The foundational communication model is the 4Es:
- Engaging the person,
- Empathizing with their concerns,
- Educating, using clear, concise language and checking for understanding, and
- Enlisting the patient as a partner and focus of the care.
This full-day interactive workshop brings together IHC’s highly regarded Clinician-Patient Communication to Enhance Health Outcomes skills development workshop in the morning, with an afternoon of contextually relevant skills practice. Trained actors portraying patients use improvisational skills to tailor practice settings to each learner’s interests and goals. Learners benefit from structured and productive feedback, to enhance what they do well.Learn More
Tuition Fee: $925.00
Includes workshop, trained simulated patients, lunch, and all curriculum materials.
Tuition payment in full is due upon application acceptance.
Cancellation Policy: 90% refund for cancellation 30 or more days before the program, 80% refund for cancellation within 30 days.