Evangeline S. Stenhouse, MD received her undergraduate degree from the University of Chicago (1916) and after teaching high school for two years and working with the Young Women’s Christian Association, she enrolled in Rush Medical College, receiving her MD in 1931. She completed her internship at Swedish Covenant Hospital and went on to complete three years of specialty training at the University of Chicago before entering private practice in 1935 and becoming board-certified in dermatology in 1938.
Dr. Stenhouse was associated with the Student Health Service of the University of Chicago and with the Department of Dermatology, University of Chicago Clinics. She co-founded the Cancer Prevention Center of Chicago. In addition to private practice, she was a consulting dermatologist at the Mary Thompson Hospital, where she served for a time as president of the medical staff. She also served on the staff of Chicago Memorial Hospital, Illinois Central Hospital, and Swedish Covenant Hospital. She was a Fellow of the American Medical Association and member of the Chicago Dermatological Society, the Academy of Dermatology and Syphiology, the International Congress of Dermatology, and the International Society of Tropical Dermatology.
Dr. Stenhouse was an active member of the AMWA, having served as president from 1951-1953, director of the North Central Region, Chairman of Reference Committee A and the Finance Committee, secretary, chairman of various committees, and president of the AMWA Chicago Branch Two. In 1956, she was the recipient of the Elizabeth Blackwell Award for her devoted service to AMWA.
Her pursuits outside of medicine included cooking, music, theater, and travel.Return to AMWA Blackwell Exhibit