Elizabeth S. Waugh, MD was born in Philadelphia in 1904 and spent all of her year of medical practice in Philadelphia, the “city of brotherly love.” She received her BA from Wellesley College in 1927 and received her MD from the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1931. She completed her internship and residency at the Woman’s Medical College, Hospital of Pennsylvania and became board certified in obstetrics and gynecology in 1942.
Dr. Waugh began her private practice in the YWCA in Germantown, Philadelphia. She held several teaching positions at the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania where she was later became a Clinical Professor. She served as Chief of Obstetrics at the Woman’s Hospital in West Philadelphia.
She was president of AMWA from 1950-1951 and was chairman of publication of the Journal of the American Medical Women’s Association (JAMWA) from 1952 to 1960. She was also a member of the AMA, Philadelphia County Medical Society, American College of Surgeons, American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, and Philadelphia Club for Medical Women.
In 1963, she received AMWA’s Elizabeth Blackwell Award, and in 1971, she received Commonwealth Committee of the Medical College of Pennsylvania.
She never married but had a niece and nephews who were her family, in addition to the many babies that she delivered. In her spare time, Dr. Waugh enjoyed gardening, photography, and painting.
Physician File, The Legacy Center, Drexel University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Elizabeth S. Waugh Biography ©Daniel C. Waugh and Carol Ann Waugh, 1994Return to AMWA Blackwell Exhibit