Start a Local Physician/Resident Branch
Organizing a group of women in medicine in your area will connect you with other physicians, residents, students and will help promote AMWA’s initiatives.
Start a Branch
There may not be a local branch in your area but you can connect with the local student, resident or, our fastest growing, pre-medical student branch. They have many varied programs from participating in local 10-K races, helping at women’s shelters, participating in book club teleconferences and interviews, physician-student gatherings on life-style, negotiation, fertility, etc. These future doctors will energize you.
Visit the Student Branches/Regions Page to see who is the regional student coordinator in your area. She will direct you to a local student branch.
(If you are a student branch, directions to start a local branch can be found here.)
Once you are involved with AMWA and you see the value it provides you and those you meet, you may want to start a local branch that would serve your area or institution. Read the Branch Affiliation Letter for information on how to get started. Contact AssociateDirector@amwa-doc.org for information on grants for branch events.
- In order to comply with current IRS rules, you will need to apply for an IRS tax ID number from your local state if you plan to have financial transactions. You will need at least three officers when filling out the form and a contact address. Wells Fargo is providing no-fee accounts for all branches. Information about opening an account can be found here. Branches who do not plan to engage in financial transactions do not need to apply for an IRS tax ID number and need only fulfill steps 2-5 ,7 and 9 (NOTE: student branches do not need to complete this step)
- Sign the attached AMWA Branch Affiliation Agreement
- Fill out the Branch Affilation Information Sheet
- Develop by-laws for your branch and elect officers consistent with AMWA policies. A by- laws template is available here.
- Fill out the list of your members. [PDF] [XLS].
- Apply for tax-exempt status on your own, request group exemption under AMWA National’s tax-exemption, or exist as a taxable business entity. Sample Group Exemption Request Letter
- Submit documents to AMWA Headquarters at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Every year, file the 990 with the IRS
- Every year, submit your Branch Annual Report form to email@example.com.
- All of these instructions are summarized in the Branch Affiliation Letter.
Help as you start your new branch
Residents, check out this Branch Starter Kit to get you started.
As National Members of AMWA, you are eligible for Branch Support Grants that can be used for your first membership drive meeting. Apply for Branch support by submitting your proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you take advantage of the group exemption under National AMWA’s tax-exemption, you can fund raise for your organization. You can also take advantage of the help from the regional governor in your area. Click here for Branch Support information
Ideas for Your Next Branch Event!
- Negotiating the Pay Divide
- Mentoring & Networking Evening Social
- Wine & Cheese Mentoring & Networking Event
- Muffins with Mentors
- Book Club (Suggested titles: Women Don’t Ask & Ask For It, two books by Linda Babcock; Wonder Women by Debora Spar, President of Barnard; Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg; On becoming Fearless…in Love, Work and Life by Arianna Huffington)
- Dinner at a member’s home with proceeds going to a local women’s charity
- Branch participation at a local health fair
- Branch participation at a local school for career day
AMWA offers grants to assist in recruitment of new practicing physician members events. [Download Grant Application]
Connect Locally and Nationally
AMWA offers many opportunities for you to advance your career. As you connect with our online communities, you will identify colleagues with skills you hope to learn or job positions you hope to obtain. Connect with these women and learn from them. You can sign up to provide or receive mentoring in our member database or email email@example.com. Your relationships within AMWA can lead to speaking engagements, mentoring relationships, leadership opportunities and job positions. Do not forget to attend our largest networking event of the year the AMWA National Meeting.