About AMWA – Resources
HealthyWomen Resources on Sjögren’s Syndrome
An estimated 2.5 million people are currently undiagnosed with Sjögren’s, an autoimmune disease that affects the entire body. It mostly affects women and can be hard to diagnose. Symptoms frequently overlap or mimic those of other diseases.
To raise awareness, HealthyWomen is partnering with Sjögren’s Syndrome Foundation to provide one woman’s perspective on what it is like to live with this disorder, as well as information on symptoms, risks and additional facts about the disease.
To help educate readers, some great new content is being launched on HealthyWomen.org:
Women’s Health Information Brochures for Patients
AMWA has compiled a series of women’s health information brochures for patients that can be downloaded and printed to hand out in your practice. Limited hard copies may be available for as well. E-mail email@example.com for more information.
- AMWA Women’s Heart Health Pamphlet- click here for brochure.
- AMWA Menopause Facts and Resources- click here for brochure.
- National Women’s Health Week – click here for brochure.
- AMWA Cervical Cancer Facts and Resources- click here for brochure.
- AMWA Breast Cancer Facts and Resources- click here for brochure.
Managing Migraine: How to Prevent and Control Migraine Headaches
Do you suffer from migraines? About 28 million Americans do. If you’re one of them, you know just how painful and disabling a migraine can be. Fortunately, you can do a lot to help prevent migraines or reduce your pain during a migraine attack. Many people can lower their risk of a migraine by simply avoiding stress, getting enough sleep, eating regularly, and-for some people-avoiding alcohol and certain foods. There are also medications you can take to help prevent migraines so you can get fewer of them, if lifestyle changes aren’t enough.
Strong to the Bone
Postmenopausal women can take a five-minute assessment developed by AMWA to help evaluate their osteoporosis risk, and use the knowledge to speak to their healthcare professional about a personal treatment plan. Simply go to Strong to the Bone. The lack of knowledge and action related to bone health is alarming given that the National Osteoporosis Foundation estimates that one in two women older than 50 is predicted to break a bone due to osteoporosis in her remaining lifetime. AMWA joined forces with health and fitness expert, Dr. Pam Peeke, to launch Strong to the Bone, a nationwide awareness campaign to urge better bone health and encourage women to take steps to avoid fractures.
Think Before You Drink
This helpful resource for college students provides tips about alcohol consumption including responsible decision making, facts about drinking, and alcohol poisoning awareness. Did you know that women process alcohol differently than men and are more vulnerable to intoxication and the harmful effects of excessive drinking?
Vitamin D and Your Bone Health
Why is vitamin D important? Vitamin D is necessary to form and maintain strong bones. Vitamin D helps your body absorb the calcium you take in from food or supplements. Once absorbed, calcium, along with other minerals, provides the strength needed for bones to withstand the stresses of daily activities. Low levels of vitamin D or calcium intake can lead to bone loss, making bones weaker. An adequate diet, especially in terms of calcium and vitamin D, and exercise are the cornerstones of achieving and maintaining optimal bone health and helping to prevent broken bones.
Weigh In: Talking to Your Children About Weight and Health
“Weigh In: Talking to Your Children About Weight and Health,” is a research-based online guide jointly developed by the Strategies to Overcome and Prevent (STOP) Obesity Alliance and Alliance for a Healthier Generation to help prepare parents for tough conversations about weight and health with their kids. It provides practical information about seven real-world situations in which questions are likely to arise, and tips for how to responsibly and compassionately respond. AMWA is a member of the (STOP) Obesity Alliance.
- Women and Mesothelioma – Information for patients and providers
You and Your Family Ebook
Endorsed by the American Medical Women’s Association (AMWA), You & Your Family magazine and the youandyourfamily.com website educate expectant and new parents on pregnancy, birth and their baby—offering content on fitness and nutrition, screening, labor and delivery, life with a newborn, and family and financial matters. Addressing all critical stages of pregnancy in an engaging format, You & Your Family has become the established go-to reference guide in the baby marketplace.
For more information on pregnancy, visit www.youandyourfamily.com.
Click here for information on the global fight against HIV/ AIDS
TEDEd video explaining in vitro fertilization
Resources for Seniors (Courtesy of ElderImpact)
- Housing Tips and Advice from The National Aging in Place Council
- Mom’s Coming to Live with Us: How Should I Prepare My Family?
- Preventing Falls at Home
- Fall Prevention Tips for Seniors | A Home Design Guide
- Exercise & Physical Activity: Your Everyday Guide from the National Institute on Aging
- 14 Ways to Help Seniors Avoid Isolation
- The Benefits of Cooking with Alzheimer’s: A Caregiver’s Guide
- Depression in Older Adults and the Elderly
- The Ultimate Guide to Rehab and Medicare
- A Senior’s Guide to Using Computers and Software
- Economic Security for Seniors Facts
- 8 Things Not to Say to Your Aging Parents
- How to Care for Your Aging Parents from a Distance
- The Stress-Free Guide to Selling an Inherited Home
Other helpful links:
- Best Bones Forever!
- When to Call the Doctor
- Why see a Gynecologist
- Conversations With Your Eye Care Professional May Reveal More Than Meets the Eye
- What to Ask During an Eye Doctor Visit
- How to Talk About Your Eyes
- What You Need to Know About Chronic Dry Eye
- Are you a Bully?
- Feeling Sad
- Depression During and After Pregnancy Fact Sheet
- Premenstrual Syndrome: FAQs
- Helping a Girl with Reproductive Health
- Bacterial Vaginosis Fact Sheet
- Chlamydia Fact Sheet
- Syphilis Fact Sheet
- Lesbian Bisexual Fact Sheet
- Talking to Teens about Sex
- Vaginal Yeast Infection Fact Sheet
- Before You Get Pregnant: Information for All Women
- Learning to Breastfeed
- Breastfeeding Holds
- Breastfeeding: Handling Stress
- Common Breastfeeding Challenges
- Pumping and Milk Storage
- Food Don’ts for Pregnant Women
- Getting Ready for Baby
- Healthy Pregnancy: Do’s and Don’ts
- Ovulation and Due Date Calculator
- Pregnancy: Staying Healthy and Safe