In its first year, AWH partnered with the Red Cross and civilian medical organizations to send abroad 62 AWH volunteer doctors as well as 30 technicians and lay workers to France, Serbia, Palestine and Greece. AWH also established its first hospital in northeast France. This hospital, financed entirely by AWH, had 25 beds and a staff of 15 women. At home, AWH arranged for hospitals for convalescent soldiers, for care for soldiers’ dependents, and for laboratory training courses in order to address the critical shortage at that time of skilled lab workers.
Although the armistice was signed a year later, the ensuing local wars, revolutions, earthquakes, famine and millions of destitute refugees meant that medical assistance remained urgently needed around the world. AWH expanded its service at home and in country after country abroad in order to address the thousands who looked for help.
1. Walker, Gertrude A; The American Women’s Hospitals – Reprint from The New York Evening Post; Legacy Center Archives; 1918, 33:304
2. American Women’s Hospitals; JAMWA; Legacy Center Archives;1968, 5:8