AMWA Board Call for Nominations
The AMWA Governance Committee is currently accepting nominations for positions on the Board of Directors beginning in the 2013-2014 year. Learn more about the available positions and how to apply below. Applications are due August 15, 2012.
President-Elect (1): The President-Elect shall succeed the President at the close of the President’s term. In the absence of the President, the President-Elect shall perform the duties and have the powers of the President. The President-Elect shall perform such other duties as may be specified from time to time by the President, the Executive Committee, or the Board of Directors.
Secretary (1): The Secretary shall give, or cause to be given, notice of all meetings of the Board. The Secretary shall keep the minutes of the meetings of the Board. (S)he shall send copies of the minutes of all meetings to the Board and shall also see that the books, reports, statements, and all other documents required by law are properly kept and filed. The Secretary shall perform such other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the President or the Board.
Treasurer (1): The Treasurer shall have the custody of the corporate funds and other valuable effects, including investments and endowments, shall keep full and accurate accounts of receipts and disbursements in books belonging to AMWA, and shall deposit all monies and other valuable effects in the name and to the credit of AMWA in such depositories as may be designated by the Board. The Treasurer shall disburse the funds of AMWA, working in close cooperation with the President and the Board, taking proper vouchers for such disbursements, and shall render to the President on a monthly basis an account of all transactions as Treasurer and of the financial condition of AMWA.
Director (4): Each elected Director shall serve a term of two (2) years from the date of induction as determined by the Board. Each Officer and Director must be a voting member of AMWA. Each director shall hold office until the induction date at the end of such Director’s term, until earlier resignation, or until the election and qualification of a successor. Nothing in these Bylaws shall preclude a Director, if reelected, from serving one additional successive two (2) year term.
Top Ten Responsibilities of the AMWA Board
- Determine our mission and purpose
- Evaluate the Headquarters Team
- Provide financial oversight
- Ensure adequate resources
- Maintain integrity and accountability
- Formulate a strategic plan and follow it
- Recruit and orient Board members and assess board performance
- Enhance AMWA’s public standing
- Determine, monitor, and strengthen AMWA’s initiatives and services with member input
- Support the Headquarters Team
Other Responsibilities of Board Members
- Attend all Board and committee meetings & functions [Cannot have more than three (3) excused absences]
- Be informed about AMWA’s mission, policies, and programs
- Serve on a committee or task force
- Make a personal financial contribution to any AMWA program
- Be an AMWA ambassador
- Suggest nominees to the Board
- Understand policies
- Refrain from making special requests
- Assist the Board with its fiduciary responsibilities
Legal Responsibilities of the Board
- Duty of care
- Duty of loyalty
- Duty of obedience